When we were on our weekly trip to the supermarket a day ago, I thought it would be a great time to try making a version of the chicken burger. Since we already had a go with the beef-pork combo cheeseburger, the idea to experiment on a grilled chicken patty recipe was always nagging my food brain. And the only way to silence that little jiminy cricket on my metaphorical shoulder is to go ahead and just cook the darn thing. Well, take a look at what I came up with: Spicy Grilled Chicken Burger with Jalapeno bits!
Of course, me being me, a dish that is not spicy is never an option – more like a last resort and if I’m backed into a corner. *wink* So, I got the idea of adding in some jalapenos to the chicken mixture. It was definitely spicy enough for me! You can mince it as fine as you like, but I personally want to taste some jalapenos so mine’s a bit bigger. When you’re handling the jalapenos, remember to put on some gloves and take the seeds out with a spoon. Don’t be like the idiot I know who took out the seeds and minced the pepper with her bare hands. It looked and sounded cool but the effect lasted for several hours. Just a heads up since it was very uncomfortable – like your hands are on fire from the inside. Oops, I guess that idiot was me.
But what the heck, it’s never too early to start the weekend and having your hands on fire is one awesome way to do it. Plus you get one fantastic tasting and spicy chicken burger out of it! Don’t be afraid, go on and check out the recipe below.
Spicy Grilled Chicken Burger
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 medium-sized onion, minced
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 3 pieces jalapenos, deseeded and minced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1 egg, roughly beaten
- 2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon fish sauce
- Cayenne/red pepper, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
- Hamburger buns
- Lettuce, optional
- Ranch dressing, optional
1. In a small skillet, place the butter and leave to melt. When it is hot enough, sauté the minced garlic until golden brown. Add in the onion and minced jalapenos. Cook until the onions are transparent. Remove from heat and set aside until fully cooled down.
2. Place the ground chicken in a large mixing bowl and pour in the cooked onion and garlic including the remaining butter residue. Mix in the rest of the ingredients (except the buns of course) and cover for 20-30 minutes to allow all the flavors to blend together.
3. Shape into patty size of your choice that will fit into your buns. Grill to cook. (Cooking time varies according to patty rareness of your liking but 3/4 inch patty takes about 4-5 minutes for a medium rare burger. Ours was like 1/2 inch thick and it took about the same time to make it well done.)
4. This is optional: Grill the burger buns before putting the patty in. It’s an extra step but it the aroma of a grilled bun is definitely worth it! Layer your burger according to your preference. Ours had a bed of lettuce then some ranch dressing followed by the chicken patty then a little more ranch dressing on top. YUM!
5. Serving Suggestion: This goes very well with a side of grilled spicy sweet corn!