Frell, it’s good to be back writing about food! Or cooking something so we can write about it. And FYI, “frell” is a Farscape reference. If you didn’t know that, well… then Google will serve your purpose. :D
Anyway, there I was last night with time on my hands waiting for Van to finish working. I inadvertently went to Pinterest and got hooked looking at mouth-watering images for hours! I knew there was a reason why I made a point not to visit that site the past 3 months when we were swamped with work. It will literally EAT “arns” of your life. (Wow, another Fascape reference... Just shows how much I’m missing the series.) Sorry I got sidetracked, but Pinterest does take a lot of your time – though in a very good way. Definitely a GOOD way since it got us inspired to cook shrimps for today. Last night, I saw this gorgeously grilled shrimps there and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on some so I could do the same.
So this morning we went to the supermarket and got half a kilo of medium-sized shrimps. Saw some giant shrimps there but it was a little bit pricey for our budget. Just imagine how ginormous they were when only 4 pieces was a quarter of a kilo already! Huge, huh? Well, the gigantic shrimps will have to wait for another day. This, I vow! haha
On to the good stuff. For the grilled shrimps, we thought the best way to complement the flavors would be to make it into a salad with some lettuce and cherry tomato skewers. We divided the shrimps so that Van can make pasta aglio olio as well. (The recipe for that will be in the next post since Van will be writing that one.)
It was my first time grilling shrimps. It just seems a lot of waste grilling them since we would then be only using the peeled body of the shrimps and throw the rest of the parts away. With shrimps, we usually do our favorite sautéed spicy shrimp dish but when we had our first taste of this one, I couldn’t believe why we didn’t try grilling them before. The taste was marvelous! I used some French dressing for the marinade and it was perfect for the shrimps. The smoky essence of the flame grill combined with the marinade only intensified the richness of the flavor of the shrimps. The salad was out of this world, I kid you not. But don’t take my word for it. Try making some today and I guarantee you won’t think twice about grilling shrimps anymore!
Grilled Shrimp Salad with Cherry Tomato Skewers
For the Grilled Shrimp:
- 1/2 pound medium-sized shrimps, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon kalamansi or lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup French dressing
- A pinch of chilli powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne or red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Salt, to taste
For the Cherry Tomato Skewers:
- Several cherry tomatoes
- Bamboo skewers
- Salt, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Dried thyme, to taste
- 1 medium-sized head of iceberg lettuce, washed
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
1. For the marinade, mix the French dressing, kalamansi juice, Worcestershire sauce, chilli powder, cayenne pepper, black pepper and salt in a bowl. Add the shrimps, toss to coat and let sit for 15 minutes.
2. While waiting for the marinade to do some magic with the shrimps, skewer the cherry tomatoes. As a tip, soak the bamboo skewers in water for 15-30 minutes before using to make them more heat-resistant.
3. Preheat the grill to medium heat. Place the shrimps and grill them for 1-2 minutes on each side or until the shrimps turn orangey.
4. Before placing the cherry tomato skewers on the grill, slather them with butter. Once a side is done, sprinkle some salt, thyme and black pepper. Do the same with the other sides until the tomatoes are all wrinkly from the heat.
5. Separate the leaves of the lettuce and arrange them in a serving plate. Toss with the ranch dressing and top with the grilled shrimps. You can also try topping it with cheese. Unfortunately, we were out of cheese so ours didn’t have any. :(