Oh my, we’ve neglected our blog again — and this time for almost 2 weeks! So sorry… Our freelance work and familial concerns have tied us up that we haven’t had the time to write. But that hasn’t kept us from cooking! Yep, we certainly have a few recipes that we tried out in our moment of blog hiatus and we can’t wait to share them all!
So, here goes another spicy treat for your mid-week seafood craving: Spicy Shrimps.
This dish is very easy to make and you can do your own variations without any difficulty. The size of the shrimps is not really an issue but the medium ones works best for us. Frozen shrimps will still do if you’re out of fresh ones.
I also experimented with adding fish sauce with this since I’ve heard it enhances the flavor. You can opt to take that out if you want and I’ll understand. Fish sauce is not that popular outside the Asian region, but it really does amazing things to anything you cook or eat. Try it out sometime when you’re in an adventurous and daring mood. :)
What made this dish stand out for me when it comes to taste is the flavor that the ginger brings. Combine that with the sweet-sour taste of the ketchup and the heat of the bird’s eye chili, and your taste buds will be overwhelmed with umami! Just perfect when accompanied with steamed rice and white wine!
- 1 pound medium-sized shrimps (heads on, optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 2 thumb-sized ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoon butter
- 3-5 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon fish sauce (totally optional, but I recommend it)
- 3-5 bird’s eye chili, halved
- Ground red pepper, to taste
- Ground black pepper, to taste
- Salt, to taste
1. In a small pan, add the butter. When the butter has completely melted, put in the minced garlic. Sautee until golden brown.
2. Add the onion, ginger and chili and stir fry until the onion bits have become transparent.
3. Toss the shrimps in and stir fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients and simmer while covered for another 3 minutes.
4. Serve with a cup of steamed rice and your favorite beverage of choice! Enjoy!